Saturday, January 26, 2008

What Is A Dream?


Tonight I was reading Maddie her bedtime story. I let her pick the book and tonight she picked "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats. This book is a personal favorite of mine, especially when it's snowy outside and I can relate the story to what's happening outside. I think Maddie understands it better too when I do this. So, as I am reading we get almost to the end and there is a part that talks about Peter (the main character) having a dream. Immediately Maddie asks, "What is a dream?" Oh great, here we go. Immediately I was stumped. At first I think "How do I explain what a dream is to a 2 years old?" In my lame way of trying to finish the book and get Maddie to bed I quickly state that a dream is a place you go and see when you go to sleep. She kinda took this grain of salt and was satisfied, but I sure felt like I dropped the ball on this one. I knew when Maddie was little that the "Questions of Life" would come fast and quick when she could start speaking. I talked with other Moms and I find that the seasoned parents always seem to have the best answers. One mom explained that when her son asked her why the sky was blue, she responded "Because that's what color God painted it." I like that, short and simple and satisfies the curiosity. Sometimes I think "Should I just give the scientific explanation all the time, so I'm not leading my child astray? But what fun is that, and really what harm will it do to put a fun spin on learning about life. So if any parents out there who have been hit with the dream question I'd love to hear their response. Boy, this parenting thing can be tough.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I have not seen that book forever! I need to find it for maren.
I am dreading the questions, b/c I am the worst at explaining things!

Love your answer to what a dream is.
I think we need to start a blog where we can post these types of things. I know there are websites out there bt they can get overwhelmming w/ all the info they have.

Denise said...

At least the intangibles are more understandably hard to explain. Kimball will say "what's that?" and i'm like, "uh, a bulldozer, I mean, a tractor, or uhhh, it's a truck-ish thing.