Monday, June 23, 2008

Good-Bye Beehive State....Hello Volunteer State!

We are officially setting our sights to Johnson City, Tennessee on July 6th! In other words, we are moving to Tennessee. That's right, I can't believe after talking about moving to Tennessee (for nearly 2 years) the time has finally come. For those who are wondering why Tennessee? It's simple...Eastern Tennessee State University. Brandon will be studying for his Master's there. We are very excited for some new scenery, but sad to leave good friends and beloved family behind. I'm also pretty bummed that I'll have to miss the Jack Johnson concert in August. So, if anyone needs tickets there are 4 for sale. Don't worry, we will definitely be back for a visit or two. :)

Here are some fun facts about our future home state.


Fun Facts

  • Nashville, Tennessee, is the country music capital of the world. The greatest stars of country music perform at Nashville's famous Grand Ole Opry.

  • Each August, Memphis holds a citywide celebration honoring the King of Rock and Roll—Elvis Presley.

  • President Andrew Jackson named Memphis after a city in Egypt.

  • Each year the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest is held as part of the Memphis in May International Festival. Lucky attendees can sample all kinds of succulent pork barbecue while the pitmasters duel it out in the "Super Bowl of Swine."

  • Graceland, Elvis Presley's home and 14-acre estate in Memphis, Tennessee, was opened to the public in 1982.

  • Dollywood is Dolly Parton's 125-acre theme park in Tennessee's Smoky Mountains. It features rides, entertainment and craft demonstrations.

  • The Smoky Mountain National Park is America's most visited national park. It is home to 30 species of salamanders and an estimated 1,600 black bears.

  • Pat Summit, the longtime coach of the University of Tennessee women's basketball team, is the all-time winningest coach in NCAA basketball history (men or women's).

  • The architect of Tennessee's State Capitol Building in Nashville, William Strickland, died during its construction. He is buried within the building's walls.

  • Tennessee's state tree, the tulip poplar, can grow to be 200 feet tall. Pioneers used the tree in the construction of their homes and farms.

6 comments:

Becky said...

NO

The Cliftens said...

That is so exciting! We will definitely miss you guys.

JUST BE... said...

what would we do without you(miss 411)I love all of you facts!!!

Krissy said...

Holy Crap I can't believe you are moving. I probably won't even see you before you head out. -Tear- :(
I didn't even know you guys were ever thinking about moving - until Robyn sprung the news on me like I already knew - I was shocked! Even though I don't see you often I'm going to miss you! Thank goodness for blogging so we can keep in good touch!

So, want to know what a small world this is??? One of my best friends since high school - Melissa Golden - moved to Kingsport, TN a few years ago - You guys are only about 20 miles from each other! Hooray! You have a friend already! Seriously I think you guys will get along great! I wonder how large the ward boundaries are? Maybe you will even go to church together??? Crazy!

Melissa loves it there! I know you guys will too. I can't wait for you and Maddie to get cute little TN accents. Oh, you think you won't but it's inevitable! Ha, ha - so cute!

Love ya!!!!

Jessica said...

You will be missed. But that means that you have to update your blog more often.
change is good, & I hear the south is great.

Denise said...

Wow, I think it would be fun to experience living somewhere like that. I am sure it will be a fabulous experience for you guys, keep your blog updated!